Sunday, February 11, 2007

Build your Own Social Networking Site

I've been looking with a lot of interest and admiration to the booming phenomenon of social networking web site. I've been wanting to harness the power of social networking in a site of my own. This dream has been in my mind for long, but really did not have the energy to write the PHP code for building such a site from scratch. I therefore kept looking for some ready made open source system that does social networking. I had no success in locating any open source social networking system that would be mature enough for a production site. I once considered Drupal, but it did not really do the trick of social networks, maybe in the future it would add social networking features. I do hope it will.

In the meantime, I just came across an interesting open source system that does open source. It is called Elgg. My dream can now come true without having to worry about coding a social network from scratch. All I have to do now is just install it and my social networking site is ready!